Sunday, April 13, 2014

Notice



My apologies. A confluence of illness, some family issues, and the income tax deadline have made it impossible for me to complete a mythology write-up this week. I'll be back next Sunday; in the meantime, enjoy this invective against the notorious Heinrich Schliemann.

Dear Mr. Schliemann

My ire is too distant here
to reach a proper pitch.
I’ve only heard about your crimes
in textbooks, secondhand,
but since you razed the citadel
after three thousand years
and did what Greeks dared not to do,
I want to be incensed--
but you were dead a century
when I was born, your crimes
passed by me unavengeable
and perished out of time
and yet still smoking. Were I she
who “Priam’s Treasure” wore
(or her real-life counterpart)
I think I could not be
more angry than I am. And yet
it’s not commensurate
and can’t be, ever, in my life,
I’ve been thwarted by fate:
so she three thousand years too soon,
so I one hundred late.

No comments:

Post a Comment