Sunday, September 7, 2014

Ending the Blackout



Returned as promised. These past few weeks have been an ordeal. I feel like Beowulf rising out of the mere after defeating Grendel's mother. I should be back on a weekly posting schedule now, and I have a very new poem here about a blackout that spread down my street one summer night.

Un-street-lighted

Of course the city’s always bright.
Stars hardly show their faces.
You should see it in winter on cloudy nights
when all the glare from the city lights
bounces back between the clouds and snow
and makes it bright as day is.

And so imagine my surprise
one shocking summer evening
when a power failure blossomed wide
all down my street and amplified
our sense of dissolution from
the city and its seething.

Our lifeline was all stripped away!
A silent blackout fell that day
the un-street-lit street paved the way
to the carpet of stars above us.

No comments:

Post a Comment