Monday, November 10, 2014

The Sky over Saint Peter's



Sorry for the late post. I'm grading the second midterm this week, on top of at least fifteen other enormous deadlines. Please enjoy this poem that I wrote when I was living in Rome. 

The Sky over Saint Peter's




No rain, no clouds, no sadness yet
just blue on blue on top of blue
so blue it hurts my eyes.
As not-so-early morning traffic
swirls around the fountain
and dies into the night.

Or pre-dawn glowing gold-on-blue
over the buildingtops too greet
the day that’s paused in coming.
I skirt the fountain, yet alone,
can’t quite define the color
suspended in the air.

Stars are hard to find in Rome.
From my terazza, certainly
a dark spot in the city,
I count no more than twenty.
So frightened by the big-town bustle
they slink into the corners
and wink out as I chase them.

But molten gold glows slowly, surely
filtered through the leaves of trees
as light begins to fade.
Behind me blue melts into pink
as one lone airplane traces high an arc;

you’d think it was a star.

No comments:

Post a Comment